>From: Gokhan Sever:
>In your matplotlibrc file uncomment "mathtext.default : regular" to get the
>same font between the equations and regular text.
Then the mathematics italic is lost. I can force it back by \it and then I have
the same small letters.

> From: Michael Droettboom:
>Mathtext is in a completely different font (Computer Modern), so it has
>a different x-height, even though it does have the same overall height.
In a "normal" TeX document mathtext is also represented by another font,
nevertheless the sizes do match. In matplotlib the string
r'm$\rm{m}$$m$'
results in three differently sized m's! (see the tiny png attached)

> From: Michael Droettboom:
>While there isn't a way to change the size of part of a Text object, you
>could put the math its own Text object and use the 'fontsize' kwarg to
>change its size.
If you have several math inclusions, this way becomes tedious...

>You might also see more font "harmony" by using the STiX math font
>(set the rcParam mathtext.fontset to 'stix') alongside Times,
Maybe this is backend specific but I don't see any change when using stix.

Ok, there seem to be no easy solution of this bug/"not a bug"/feature...
Thanks!