Hello,
I am writing a GUI using GTK+ library. I have a question about axes class
imshow method memory consumtion. If I pass the imshow an array, the resulting
memory consuption is approximatelly 46 times greater than the array size. If I
do not add the canvas to a window (in a code below), the memory consuption is
"only" 8 times greater. Any tips on how to reduce the memory consuption would
be very appreciated and any explanation of how much memmory imshow allocates
too. Configuration and script are below.

os: Windowx XP
matplotlib version: 0.99.1
downloaded from: sourceforge.net

script:
from matplotlib.figure import Figure
from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtkagg import FigureCanvasGTKAgg
from pylab import rand
import gtk

window = gtk.Window()
window.connect("destroy", gtk.main_quit)

figure = Figure(figsize=(8,6), dpi=72)
canvas = FigureCanvasGTKAgg(figure)
axes = figure.add_subplot(111)

window.add(canvas)

axes.imshow(rand(1024,1024))
canvas.draw()
window.show_all()

gtk.main()

verbose-helpful output:
$HOME=C:\Documents and Settings\Sensej
CONFIGDIR=C:\Documents and Settings\Sensej\.matplotlib
matplotlib data path C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data
loaded rc file C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data\matplotlibrc
matplotlib version 0.99.1
verbose.level helpful
interactive is False
units is False
platform is win32
Using fontManager instance from C:\Documents and
Settings\Sensej\.matplotlib\fontList.cache
backend GTKAgg version 2.12.1
findfont: Matching
:family=sans-serif:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=medium
 to Bitstream Vera Sans
(C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data\fonts\ttf\Vera.ttf) with
score of 0.000000

Thank you,
Tomas.