On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Philipp K. Janert
<pyt...@beyondcode.org> wrote:
> Is this the best way to do this, or is there another way
> (or one that does not require an explicit draw()?). Also,

Any change in your figure is realized when you "draw()" the figure. So
there is no way that does not require an explicit draw.

An alternative is to make the artist invisible (use set_visible method).

> what if I have failed to save the text instance - do I have
> to walk the object tree using findobj()?

All the artists that are drawn are kept in the figure instance, so you
can inspect the figure instance.
And you may use findobj for that if you want.
On the other hand, Axes.texts keeps a list of text instances in the
axes (e.g., gca().texts).

Regards,

-JJ