This doesn't solve the original problem and I know I worked out a way to do
it before my hard disk messed up! But it seems you can get a version going
through macports...

sudo port install py26-matplotlib
sudo port install python_select
sudo python_select python26

then edit your .matplotlib/matplotlibrc file (make one if you don't have
it). And put backend: macosx into it.

Should work fine. Does for me. Now I don't know how one would set python up
so it doesn't find my other version, other than moving paths around. Or
setting it up so easy_install using the /opt/ version of python. Anyone?

thanks

Martin