Hi Tim,

 From what I gather you are trying to install everything from source the
trying to install via the dmg.  I did a fresh install of python,
matplotlib and a number of other packages today (on 10.6) and maybe it
would be helpful to see how to install from source.  When installing
Python, be sure to use --enable-framework.  I used a /usr/local prefix
though this may be somewhere else for you.

$ wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.5/Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2
$ tar -jxvf Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2
$ cd Python-2.6.5
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-framework
$ make
$ make install

It appears that you have already installed numpy and so you would also
need the following:

dateutils
$ sudo wget
http://labix.org/download/python-dateutil/python-dateutil-1.5.tar.gz
$ sudo tar xzf python-dateutil-1.5.tar.gz
$ cd python-dateutil-1.5
$ sudo /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

freetype
$
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/freetype/freetype-2.3.12.tar.gz
$ sudo tar xzf freetype-2.3.12.tar.gz
$ cd freetype-2.3.12
$ sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ sudo make
$ sudo make install

libpng
$ sudo wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/01-libpng-master/1.4.2/libpng-1.4.2.tar.gz/download
$ sudo tar xzf libpng-1.4.2.tar.gz
$ cd libpng-1.4.2
$ sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ sudo make
$ sudo make install

pkconfig
$ sudo wget http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
$ sudo tar xzf pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
$ cd pkg-config-0.22
$ sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ sudo make
$ sudo make install

Finally, you should be able to install matplotlib from source using,
$ sudo wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/matplotlib/files/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.99.3/matplotlib-0.99.3.tar.gz/download
$ sudo tar xzf matplotlib-0.99.3.tar.gz
$ cd matplotlib-0.99.3
$ sudo /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
$ sudo /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install_*
*_
Hopefully this helps.

-Adam Richards

Duke University