Ranjit,

There are a couple of possibilities.  The first is that the TrueType fonts
packages weren't detected during the build, so matplotlib compiled without
it, leading to your issue.  I have also seen an issue where your
~/.matplotlib/ needs to be cleaned out of font-related files.  Another
possibility has to do with building both numpy and matplotlib.  I have found
that if I update the numpy source code and rebuild it, then I have to
rebuild matplotlib. Now that you managed to get a complete build.  I would
numpy, if you have it), and rebuild.  Build numpy first if you have that
from source, and then build matplotlib.

So, first double-check your TrueType Font packages and see if you comply
with the dependencies listed on the developer wiki.  If so, then check your
.matplotlib directory for any fontCache files and remove it.  Lastly, do a
complete clean and rebuild of matplotlib (the cleaning part is very
important).

I hope that helps,
Ben Root