On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Johannes Röhrs <johanne...@met.no> wrote:

> Thanks a lot, this solutions seems to serve my purpose. A new method
> C.remove() would of course be even better.
>
> One could say the problem is solved, but why does there no method exist to
> update a contour plot as there is for many other plot routines, i.e.
> set_xdata/set_ydata for plot
> set_data for imshow or
> set_UVC for quiver and so on.
> set_array should be the corresponding method for contour plots, and if type
> C.get_array() I actually get the data array that I used to plot the countours!
>
> My purpose of this is to animate the contour plot, and I did read somewhere
> that updating the plot is much faster/more efficient than deleting and
> recreating the plot.

This is the case when setting up the initial book-keeping is a
significant portion of the time to make the plot. In this case, most
of the work is in generating the contours, so I don't think you'd get
much savings. (Granted, I haven't tried to verify these assumptions.)

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant