I have successfully used ipython -pylab under w32 python, but under the
builtin ipython under ubuntu 9 and 10, the graphics display thread seems to
block until the ipython command line - as if the threading (internal to
ipython etc) is not happening.

For example if the following is pasted in, the plot appears after 2 seconds,
instead of straight away, as it used to in w32 python 2.6, (and I think, but
am not sure, in earlier linux pythons).  The reason I want this feature is
to show intermediate
results of long computations, without blocking, as would happen in straight
python or ipython. See version numbers at end.

import time
# Note - this version is meant to be pasted!

print('When pasted in to ipython -pylab, the plot should appear immediately,
'
      ' then the ipython prompt after sleep(2): but the plot waits until the
prompt!')
plot([3,4], hold=0)
ion()
show()
time.sleep(2)

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56)
IPython 0.10
matplotlib.__version__   Out[3]: '0.99.1.1'