In article <snt131-w29254d6077b5b2f95c81a3bb...@phx.gbl>,
 Stephen T. <obsessiv...@hotmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hi, I am having trouble installing matplotlib. I have OS X 10.5 with Python
> 2.6
>  downloaded and installed from python.org.
>  (10.5 came with Apple
>  Python 2.5). I've also installed NumPy and SciPy for Python 2.6.

I encourage you to try the matplotlib 1.0.0 binary installer. It was
built to use the python.org Python (versions are available for Python
2.5 and 2.6; the latter did have a known problem with permissions on the
icon files; you can fix that manually or a new installer with that
problem fixed should be up now or shortly).

Another option is to wade through the build instructions. I've got some
here:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/BuildingMatplotlibForMac.htm
l>

-- Russell