I'm making a strip chart widget (which I plan to make publicly available
when finished). The basics are working fine, but the automatic sizing is
not doing so well. Strip charts are typically short, and when suitably
short the X axis annotations are partially truncated.

So...can I convince the automatic sizer to always show the full X (time)
axis annotations and put all the variable sizing into the data area? Or
do I have to manually set them somehow?

Also, is there a way from my software (not a .matplotlibrc file) to
globally make the default background color white for axis annotation
areas? Right now the background is gray for annotations and while for
plot area and I'd prefer it was all white.

-- Russell