I have been unable to build/install Matplotlib 1.0.0 on a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 system for Python 2.6.5. The build process starts ok, but after sometime the following message

*creating /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mpl_toolkits
*
is displayed and the build comes to a halt. I looked in this folder and it is empty. Note, I need vers. 1.0.0 since the previous version (0.99.1.2) that is available with the Synaptic Package Manager, does not contain some modules that I need for my applications.

Any suggestions would be appreciated --- I do need Matplotlib 1.0.0 on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.

I just tried building the most recent version of matplotlib on a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 system and the build proceeded without any errors. As shown on the installation instructions page (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html), ensure that you have installed ipython, numpy, libpng and freetype. You should also have the package build-essential on your system. Then, I think that you should run the following commands:

python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

Since /usr/local/lib is a system directory, perhaps the problem is due to permissions required to write to this directory?