2010/9/10 Yannis Haralambous <yannis.haralamb...@telecom-bretagne.eu>:
> when I launch the DMG installer
> matplotlib-1.0.0-python.org-py2.6-macosx10.4.mpkg
> I get an error message, that my volume does not contain "System Python 2.6".
> I'm running a standard MacOS X 10.6.4 with python 2.6.1 running from /usr/bin
> And I do have Python 2.6 installed in
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6
> Why does the installer doesn't sees it?

Several possible reasons:
1) You installed Python from source.  In this case, since the mpl
installer checks using the Apple package system (yes, there is
actually a package system on Mac!), and installing from source of
course does not register with this, the installer wouldn't be able to
find the "Python" package.
2) There is a mistake in the matplotlib installer.  This happened
before already.
3) You're not running Python from the python.org installer, but rather
Python from Apple.
4) I noticed that you're using the macosx10.4 installer, but you said
you're on 10.6?  Libraries on 10.6 are built with gcc-4.2, and the
libs from the 10.4 bundle are built certainly with gcc-4.0.  In this
case it cannot load the gcc-4.2 built libraries.

You can try to search the /matplotlib/ threads for this, we had
several threads on this before.  I remember no issue atm on this list
about this not solved.  But I may overestimate.  You can also keep
asking.

Btw, where does your freetype2 come from?  How did your build find it
(i.e., do you have pkg-config or not)?

Friedrich