Lab Rat, Ben;

Yes, you could use the ternary code I've put together to do the CAC
plots in 2D; defining a complete triangular grid and triangular
patches would be easy.

If I'm reading the examples correctly, all the third-dimension
information duplicates the color information.

They're simpler than they look, Ben, which is part of their charm; we
use them for any mixture of three elements where a+b+c is constant, so
really they're 2D data. (Why bother, people ask? Because which of the
elements is most interesting varies with the mixture and use, so we
like having all three axes labeled. Note: many versions get one of the
axes backwards.)

&C