On 10/01/2010 10:40 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
>    On 10/01/2010 11:31 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
>> I'm working on updating matplotlib in Sage to 1.0.  We're running into
>> a problem where it seems that the fontList.cache is not being updated.
>> I've included an example session below.  The .matplotlib directory is
>> accessible here:
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jason/.matplotlib/  The problem
>> seems to be that it is looking for a file that does not exist:
>>
>> [ja...@sage:/scratch/jason/sage-4.6.alpha2]$ ls
>> /scratch/grout/sage-4.5.3/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf
>> ls: cannot access
>> /scratch/grout/sage-4.5.3/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf:
>> No such file or directory
>>

>> Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  Why is the fontList.cache
>> file not being updated, instead of trying to access a path that doesn't
>> exist?
> There is a fix in SVN for this, but it has not yet been released.  When
> a font file is not found, it rebuilds the entire font cache on the spot.

Thanks.  Do you know the commit?  We'll apply it to the Sage matplotlib
package.

>> A related question is: I see the variable USE_FONTCONFIG in
>> font_manager.py.  It says it is experimental.  How stable is that code?
>> It's tempting to switch to using fontconfig.
> I use it as a matter of course on my Linux box and haven't had any
> issues.  It's experimental because it's the kind of thing that is so
> affected by external environmental issues and distro differences.  Just
> because it "works for me", there's no guarantee it will work
> everywhere.  But go ahead and give it a try and report back with the
> distro you're using.

Well, with Sage, we're using it on a number of distros, flavors of OSX,
Solaris, etc.  So maybe I'll stick with the home-grown caching
solution.  At least until we've tested it a bit on different support
platforms for Sage.

I thought there was some sort of build bot for matplotlib that tested on
a number of platforms.  Do you know how the fontconfig stuff does on
that (if it exists...).

Thanks,

Jason