The label_mode need to be capital "L", instead of "l". I guess this
will fix your first problem.
While we make "l" same as "L", but I think it actually degrade the
readability of the code, and I;m inclined to leave it as is. Let me
know if you have any suggestions though.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Justin McCann <jne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> # Let's try explicitly setting all of the xtick sizes. Kablooie.
> for ax in grid.axes_all:
>     ax.tick_params(direction='out', labelsize='x-small')

The second one is not actually related with axes_grid1 toolkit. The
error can be reproduced with the code below.

ax = subplot(111)
ax.tick_params(direction='out', labelsize='x-small')
ax.tick_params(direction='out', labelsize='x-small')

The 1st tick_params is okay, but the 2nd one raises an error.
I'll take a look into it soon. Meanwhile, you may use a numeric
argument for the labelsize.

Regards,

-JJ