Hi all,

Illustrating the need to *always* remember we credit in the commit
message the name of the person who made a contribution originally...

2010/10/12 Fernando Perez <fperez....@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> - New IPython Sphinx directive.  You can use this directive to mark blocks in
>  reSructuredText documents as containig IPython syntax (including figures) and
>  the will be executed during the build::
[...]
> The following people contributed to this release (please let us know if we
> omitted your name and we'll gladly fix this in the notes for the future):

I completely failed to note that this feature (one out of the only two
new features in 0.10.2!) was contributed by John Hunter.

John shall be generously compensated for this offense with fresh
coffee and tropical fruit candy from Colombia, so there's nothing to
worry :)

But this is a good lesson for the committers.  I wrote the release
notes last night by scanning the full changelog and running this
function:

function gauthor() {
    git log "$@" | grep '^Author' | cut -d' ' -f 2- | sort | uniq
}

Since when John sent this, I failed to record his name in the
changelog, last night I simply forgot.  It's very, very hard to
remember months after the fact where any one piece of code came from,
so let's try to be disciplined about *always*:

- if the contribution is more or less ready-to-commit as sent, and the
committer only does absolutely minimal work, use

git commit --author="Original Author <origi...@author.com>"

- If the committer does significant amounts of rework, note the
original author in the long part of the commit message (after the
first summary line).  This will make it possible to find that
information later when writing the release notes.

Here are some examples from our log where I didn't screw up:

- Using --author:
commit 8323fa343e74a01394e85f3874249b955131976a