If you can modify the functions slightly, perhaps having an optional axes
parameter would accomplish what you want:

    def f1(axes=None):
        if axes is None:
            axes = plt.figure().add_subplot(1, 1, 1)
        # Now plot into the axes

    # Likewise for f2

    # Plot separately
    f1()
    f2()

    # Plot together
    axes = plt.figure().add_subplot(1, 1, 1)
    f1(axes=axes)
    f2(axes=axes)