A quick (and not safe) way w/ mpl v1.0 is,

    ax = plt.subplot(111)
    ax.plot(np.arange(3))

    ax.set_xticks([0, 0.5, 1., 1.5, 2.])

    mytick = ax.xaxis.majorTicks[2]
    mytick._apply_params(tickdir="out")

I don't think there is a way to do this only using public apis.
I myself actually prefer to create a separate axis (or axes), but this
will be more trickier than above solution.

Regards,

-JJ