I've been trying to track down a problem in the arrows where the arrow
seems to be off by a little bit.  I've narrowed down the problem to a
small example:

import matplotlib.patches as mpatches
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
fig=plt.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111, xlim=(.98,1.02), ylim=(.98,1.02),aspect='equal')
from matplotlib.patheffects import Stroke

ax.annotate('', (1,1),
             (0,0),
             arrowprops=dict(arrowstyle="-|>",
                             fc="w", ec="k",lw=30,
                             path_effects=[Stroke(joinstyle='miter')]),)
ax.plot([0,1],[1,1])
ax.plot([1,1],[0,1])
ax.plot([0,1.02],[0,1.02])

fig.savefig('test.png')

I've used a miter join above because it illustrates the problem better.
  Notice that the arrowhead tip is just below the line, but should be
right on the line.  Any clue about what the problem is?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Grout