Is there a straightforward way to limit the legend only to lines that
appear within the current display limits? I have a plot that has too
many separate data series to show on the legend at once, but once I
zoom in it would be good to re-set the legend to show only the visible
data points/lines.

I guess the way to do that is:

- catch the DrawEvent
- call get_xlim() and get_ylim() to get the new bounds
- figure out which lines are within the bounds and add them to a new
legend. I could run through each line and compare xlim/ylim with
line.get_xydata(); is there already a function to do this?

Thanks for your help,
    Justin