On 12/28/10 4:14 PM, crwe crwe wrote:
> I need your help! I have an image, saved in .eps (vector) format.
>
> Now the image is just a couple of plots with a legend, saved in colour, but
> without special tick marks to differentiate the plots. What I need to do now
> is *add the tick marks*. A diamond to one plot, a little cross for another
> etc. The original data that produced the plots is gone, I only have the .eps
> to work with.

darn!

> I tried editing the image with PIL, but as soon as I load the image it
> becomes rasterized (=a small matrix of pixels, unusably ugly).

right, PIL is a raster tool. There is some hope that you could have PIL
rasterize it with much higher resolution for better quality, but it's
really not what you are looking for.

> Is there any way to edit the EPS in matplotlib?

no -- that is not at all what MPL is about.

> Or maybe some other, easier way to add the plot marks ex post? I am no expert
> on vector graphic formats.

I'd use a vector graphics program. EPS is almost the same as Adobe
Illustrator's format, for instance.

InkScape is a really nice cross platform open source vector graphics
tool. It's native format is SVG. I'll bet you could find a way to
convert the EPS to svg, or, if you're lucky, InkScape can read EPS.

The nice thing about SVG is that being XML, you may be able to
manipulate it directly with a python script or something, if you have
many similar plots to do, so you don't have to point and click on each one.

Inkscape can be used as a command line SVG renderer, too.

Good luck!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov