which backend should we use?
It does not work with pyqt4

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in
<module>
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py",
line 259, in <module>
     from matplotlib.pyplot import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 95, in <module>
     new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line
25, in pylab_setup
     globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_qt4agg.py",
line 12, in <module>
     from .backend_qt4 import QtCore, QtGui, FigureManagerQT,
FigureCanvasQT,\
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_qt4.py",
line 16, in <module>
     import matplotlib.backends.qt4_editor.figureoptions as figureoptions
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/qt4_editor/figureoptions.py",

line 11, in <module>
     import matplotlib.backends.qt4_editor.formlayout as formlayout
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/qt4_editor/formlayout.py",

line 59, in <module>
     from PyQt4.QtCore import (Qt, SIGNAL, SLOT, QSize, QString,
ImportError: cannot import name QString

Looks like this backend hasn't been ported yet.

Xavier