Small update:

I tried the very same code with MPL 1.0.1 and Python 2.5.0 on Linux 64 and
Python 2.5.4 on Win32 and it runs w/o throwing any exceptions there!

But: the behaviour is still not that what I expected. Still these issues are
remaining:
- the smallest magnitude (center magnitude in other words) is 0.1 and I'd
like to display way smaller values
- the smallest magnitude doesn't even change when zooming
- the grid lines and ticks do not show as I'd expect (see my last message)
when zooming

That's why I'd rather stick to a linear scale, doing my own logarithmic
conversion, limit my data at lowest value I need and just use an offset for
the scale.