The easiest would be using a masked array.

arr = np.arange(100).reshape((10,10))

iny, inx = np.indices(arr.shape)
mymask=inx+iny>=10
imshow(np.ma.array(arr, mask=mymask), cmap="gray")
imshow(np.ma.array(arr, mask=~mymask), cmap="jet")

However, I recommend you to use the clippath.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/api/clippath_demo.html

Regards,

-JJ