On 18. mars 2011, at 12.49, Rita wrote:

> If I have 30 PNGs and i would like to make a slideshow or an animated gif
> what is the best way to do this? Can matplotlib do this?

I have used ffmpeg in the past with some success. It generates mpeg 4 video
files, but maybe that's OK for you?

The only requirement is that your files are named on the format file_0000.png
file_0001.png ...
See examples below.

Cheers
Paul.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ffmpeg -qscale 5 -r 20 -b 9600 -i img%04d.png movie.mp4
ffmpeg -qscale 5 -r 20 -i img%04d.png movie.mp4

# The options are
#
#     * -qscale 5 … define fixed video quantizer scale (VBR) where 1 is the
best and 31 the worst. Since mpeg/jpeg has problems to compress line graphics
it’s a good idea to set this variable close to 1. You get a big movie file, but
otherwise the movie doesn’t look, well, that good.
#     * -r … framerate
#     * -b … video bitrate
#     * -i input files, %04d says that we have four numbers in the filename
where the number is filled with zeros left of it.
#     * movie.mp4 is the filename, the extension says that it is a quicktime
movie. You can also create a Macromedia Flash movie by using the .flv extension.
# Info from: http://tinyurl.com/dlwlnk
# Note that the images have to be numbered 1,2,3,... not (for example) 2, 4,
6... or 10, 20, 30...