From: Nat Echols [mailto:nathaniel.ech...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 16:47

I'd like to divide the line segments up to get a smoother color gradient, but
the values are dictated by the experiment, not a mathematical function.

<snip>

so I guess what I'm really asking for is a way to add intermediate X,Y values
between every pair of values in 'points'.  I can do this myself in Python, but
I assume that's going to be pretty sluggish.

Perhaps (for convenience if not speed) you could use a routine from
scipy.interpolate [1,2], such as interp1d for piecewise linear interpolation.
I imagine that, within each linear piece, you would want the density of x
values to be roughly proportional to the slope.

[1] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.8.x/reference/tutorial/interpolate.html

[2] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.8.x/reference/interpolate.html