Jason Heeris, on 2011-04-23 00:29,  wrote:
> On 22 April 2011 03:56, Paul Ivanov <pivanov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the report, Jason. It's a bug - could you please file
> > a bug report, so we can keep track of it?
>
> Will do, thanks for the workarounds :)
>
> > or if it's an option, use gtkagg, which doesn't suffer from the crash.
> >
> >  from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtkagg import FigureCanvasGTKAgg
> > as FigureCanvasGTK
>
> Just out of interest, what's the difference between GTK and GTKAgg?

The FAQ has a nice summary:

    The canonical renderer for user interfaces is Agg which uses the
    Anti-Grain Geometry C++ library to make a raster (pixel) image of
    the figure. All of the user interfaces can be used with agg
    rendering, eg WXAgg, GTKAgg, QTAgg, TkAgg, CocoaAgg. In addition,
    some of the user interfaces support other rendering engines. For
    example, with GTK, you can also select GDK rendering (backend
    GTK) or Cairo rendering (backend GTKCairo).

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/installing_faq.html#what-is-a-backend

There are also two tables at the end of that answer which list
the renderers, and the user interface + renderer combinations.

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: