would it be easier to have all data in a single file and then tell
matplotlib to plot different parts of that file?

The file would look like:

.
.
.
  13.0576 -66.6586  -9.6419  34.1672  1.445e+05  4962
  13.0576 -55.4192  44.0864  16.7687  1.445e+05  4963
  13.0576 65.0328  -38.8888  -215.3602  1.445e+05  4964
  13.0576 -110.7375  -0.1741  -91.9251  5.459e+04  4512
.
.
.

The fifth column is what defines the transition between a file and the next one

How can I tell matplotlib to plot those data first with a certain
color and then the next data with a different color?