Hello Eric,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

> Do you see the problem with any plot at all? E.g.,
<snip>
> Can you eliminate all traces of EPD, and then just cleanly install one
> version, and see if the problem still appears?

I cleanly installed EPD. Now, with only a single version (EPD 7.0-2, Python
2.7.1), I find that, interestingly,

a) In the 32-bit version (both when independent of and concurrent with 64-bit
EPD), simply calling plot() crashes Python, both in bash and IPython shells.
b) In the 64-bit version, plot() goes through and creates the correct plot
window but savefig() causes a crash when attempting to save in any format (pdf,
ps, svg, png).

As in my original mail the error messages echoed to terminal are "Abort trap"
and "Bus error" for 64-bit and 32-bit versions, respectively.

Thus, I wish to believe that there is some bug in matplotlib which is possibly
not local to savefig() alone (at least for the 32-bit version). In this regard,
I wish to request you as well as list members to advise me as to whether I
should use version 1.0.0 ? If so, should I build from source or can I simply
use the disk image file (and have it easy!) if I wish to replace the EPD
bundled matplotlib ?

Thanks and Regards,
Kaushik