Setting 'pdf.fonttype'=3 had no effect, embedded fonts are of fonttype=1
nonetheless. I guess that pdf.fonttype parameter is used only when
matplotlib uses it's own engine to render latex, and not when
text.usetex=true is used.

Cairo backend is not support when text.usetex=true (only Agg, pdf and ps
according to documentation)