Hi all,

I am new to the forum and to all things PyGTK and matplotlib, so go easy on
me, please.

A colleague created a Python program that uses matplotlib and GTK. I wanted
to be able run her program on my MacBook (OS X 10.6.7). I used macports to
update/obtain Python 2.7, matplotlib 1.0.1, and PyGTK 2.22.0. (I also
obtained ipython, if anyone cares.)

After all of this, my colleague's program hits a snag when I try to run it;
here is the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 5, in
    from interface import Interface, Display, Controls
  File
"/Users/thecommexokid/Documents/CurrentProjects/Honors/DoubleSlit/interface.py",
line 5, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtkagg import
FigureCanvasGTKAgg
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtkagg.py",
line 10, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtk import gtk,
FigureManagerGTK, FigureCanvasGTK,\
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py",
line 28, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gdk import
RendererGDK, FigureCanvasGDK
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gdk.py",
line 29, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends._backend_gdk import
pixbuf_get_pixels_array
ImportError: No module named _backend_gdk

I believe I may be having the same problem as the user in
http://old.nabble.com/_backend_gdk-not-found-td26514059.html#a26514059 this
post , but I am enough of a novice that the solution that was suggested
there just sounds like gobbletygook to me. If anybody wants to elaborate on
that so I can try it out, please do.

Anyhow, any advice anyone has on how to overcome this problem and get her
program running on my machine would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I am
new to these things, and I don't really understand the interplay between
Python, PyGTK, and matplotlib, so if there's crucial information I haven't
provided, or if this isn't the best forum in which to be asking this
question, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

***

PS: I originally posted this question at the GTK+ Forums (
http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=69969#p69969 thread ), but it
seemed as though this might be the more appropriate forum. I'll be sure to
keep both threads updated with any developments.