I use IPython (as pylab), and Qt4Agg as mpl backend

I was entering annotations in Qt4 'Figure Options' dialog

However, even if I try:

=======================================
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot([1,2,3,4])
plt.ylabel(r'*some non ASCII chars*’)
plt.show()

I don't get anything, no even empty rectangles

If I use:

plt.ylabel('ASCII text')

then I see y axis annotated with ASCII text