In article <BANLkTi=bj2vgaycqwclk+ksz_qeqm-4...@mail.gmail.com>,
 Rebecca Gray <atlas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install matplotlib on my Mac OS X 10.6.6. I currently have
> Python 2.7.2 installed. I tried installing
> ***matplotlib-1.0.1-python.org-32bit-py2.7-macosx10.3.dmg.
> The installation appears to run fine, but when I try to import pylab * I am
> getting the following error message:

> ImportError:
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-pa
> ckages/matplotlib/_path.so,
> 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
> matplotlib/_path.so:
> no matching architecture in universal wrapper
>
> I am new to Python and any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rebecca

Which Python 2.7.2 are you using? The matplotlib installer is only
compatible with the 32-bit version from python.org and I suspect you are
using the 64-bit version or some other distribution entirely.

If you are definitely using the 32-bit python.org version then could you
please execute the "file" command on _path.so?

When I do that for mine I get:
d-172-28-191-121:matplotlib rowen$ file _path.so
_path.so: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
_path.so (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc
_path.so (for architecture i386):   Mach-O bundle i386

-- Russell