Hi Darren,

I think your correct, the matplotlibrc file says that the backend is set to
Agg.

Here's the traceback:

BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
            matplotlib: 1.1.0
                python: 3.1.2 (r312:79147, Sep 27 2010, 09:45:41)  [GCC
                        4.4.3]
              platform: linux2

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
                 numpy: 1.6.0
             freetype2: 9.22.3

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
                libpng: 1.4.7
               Tkinter: no
                        * Using default library and include directories for
                        * Tcl and Tk because a Tk window failed to open.
                        * You may need to define DISPLAY for Tk to work so
                        * that setup can determine where your libraries are
                        * located. Tkinter present, but header files are not
                        * found. You may need to install development
                        * packages.
                  Gtk+: no
                        * Building for Gtk+ requires pygtk; you must be able
                        * to "import gtk" in your build/install environment
       Mac OS X native: no
                    Qt: no
                   Qt4: no
                 Cairo: no

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES
              datetime: present, version unknown
              dateutil: 1.5
                  pytz: 2011c

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES
                dvipng: 1.12
           ghostscript: 8.71
                 latex: 3.1415926
               pdftops: 0.12.4

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]
pymods ['pylab']
packages ['matplotlib', 'matplotlib.backends',
'matplotlib.backends.qt4_editor', 'matplotlib.projections',
'matplotlib.testing', 'matplotlib.testing.jpl_units', 'matplotlib.tests',
'mpl_toolkits', 'mpl_toolkits.mplot3d', 'mpl_toolkits.axes_grid',
'mpl_toolkits.axes_grid1', 'mpl_toolkits.axisartist',
'matplotlib.sphinxext', 'matplotlib.tri', 'matplotlib.delaunay']
running build
running build_py
copying lib/matplotlib/mpl-data/matplotlibrc ->
build/lib.linux-i686-3.1/matplotlib/mpl-data
copying lib/matplotlib/mpl-data/matplotlib.conf ->
build/lib.linux-i686-3.1/matplotlib/mpl-data
running build_ext