Thanks for the answers.

Jakub, if possible, could you test out the latest matplotlib in
development on github?  I have been working hard in this.  If not, you
could also always operate directly through the axis objects
themselves, such as: ax.zaxis (although, you might have to do
ax.w_zaxis).

OK, I can use axis through w_*axis to control them. The function set_ticks works(ish) in that case but the axes is for some reason flushed to the left (it filled the image before) as can be seen in the enclosed image. This behaviour has nothing to do with the ticks values nor the axis (brakes the same for x, y and z axis). The selected ticks are updated though, just the whole projection (?) brakes.

The below suggestion by José works correctly without the effect shown in the image.

a1.w_yaxis.set_major_locator(LinearLocator(5))
a1.w_zaxis.set_major_locator(LinearLocator(5))

As for the github version, I can try it out in some future but currently I don't have time. Also installing new stuff into EPD is not necessary too trivial.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Jakub