I'm trying to get a script to work in batch mode to produce a large number of
plots.  I've got the following sequence of imports in a matplotlib Python
script:

import matplotlib, os, sys
if file_ext == 'png' :
    sys.stderr.write('Using PNG output format\n')
    matplotlib.use('agg')
elif file_ext == 'pdf' :
    sys.stderr.write('Using PDF output format\n')
    matplotlib.use('PDF')

from pylab import *

... remainder of plotting code ...

At first this appeared to work without any problems.  I could kick off a job
in background, log off the machine and return later when all the graphs had
been produced.

Now I get this RuntimeError exception.  Is there anything else I need to do
to convince matplotlib that it doesn't need my local display?

thanks!