Eric,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, eliminating sharex and sharey does solve that problem. But then my plot
axes (which are scatter plots of each orthogonal view of a vector space) are
not correspondingly scaled.

Is there a way to:

- force scaling across specified axes without using sharex/y (and without
disrupting imshow)?

- have subplots within subplots so that I can have the plot() calls in one
set of axes within a subplot (using sharex/y) and the imshow() calls in
another subplot?

-Adam