On 09/06/2011 12:55 PM, Paul Hobson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Benjamin Root<ben.r...@ou.edu>  wrote:
>>
>> I don't know the full details, but the idea was that we didn't want to have
>> SciPy as a dependency, so mlab was used to replicate many of the functions
>> found in SciPy.  I don't know why the calling conventions are different,
>> though.
>>
>> Ben Root
>
> Apologies for drifting off-topic. I understand the desire to not
> require scipy, but how likely is that to change? I've written a BCa
> bootstrapper[1] for boxplots, but it needs scipy, so I can't
> contribute it back to the community.

If you are asking whether matplotlib will ever depend on scipy, the
answer is "no", not in any future I can foresee.  Its purpose is
plotting, not calculating.  There are some simple deviations from this
mission--spectral plots and histograms, for example--but they depend
only on numpy. Maybe your BCa code can be contributed to scipy?

Eric