import matplotlib.ticker as tick
def showOnlySomeTicks(x, pos):
     s = str(int(x))
     if x == 5000:
         return    '5e3'#'%.0e' % x
     return ''
ax = plt.axes([0.165,0.2,0.95-0.24,0.95-0.2])
ax.xaxis.set_minor_formatter(tick.FuncFormatter(showOnlySomeTicks))

Then in the code something just change xaxis to yaxis or vice versa. Can
also set the major formatter like this. Not sure if this is what you
were looking for but it seems you want custom tick labels. Can also set
the location of the ticks and check ticker page below for more info.

For setting a different base check the multiplelocater from the ticker
class here:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/ticker_api.html