I'm getting odd behavior when I try to use fmin and pylab in the same program.
The issue is illustrated in the code snippet below. As written, fmin won't
work: the "print xopt" simply returns the contents of x0 as assigned in the
line before fmin. If the "from pylab import *" line is commented out, however,
then fmin runs as expected.

I'm running python 2.7.2 on a MacBook Pro with a recent install & upgrade of
scipy and matplotlib via macports. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------

#!/opt/local/bin/python

from scipy import *
from scipy.optimize import fmin
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('MacOSX')
from pylab import *

def rosen(x):  # The Rosenbrock function
  return sum(100.0*(x[1:]-x[:-1]**2.0)**2.0 + (1-x[:-1])**2.0)

x0 = [1.3, 0.7, 0.8, 1.9, 1.2]

xopt = fmin(rosen, x0)

print xopt