Thanks Michael for your quick reply. I will consider use of the yum tool to
install the per-requisite and future updates.

 Meanwhile I got a step forwards with help of the freetype developer forum
and I succeeded to build the freetype2 from the source. So I've also
repeated the "python setup.py build"  which gave me a new error message
"cannot find -lz "  . See the linker command below:

g++ -pthread -shared build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/src/ft2font.o
build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/src/mplutils.o
build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/CXX/IndirectPythonInterface.o
build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/CXX/cxx_extensions.o
build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/CXX/cxxsupport.o
build/temp.linux-s390x-2.6/CXX/cxxextensions.o -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib64 -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib64
-lfreetype -lz -lstdc++ -lm -lpython2.6 -o
build/lib.linux-s390x-2.6/matplotlib/ft2font.so
/usr/lib64/gcc/s390x-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../s390x-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lz

Hope somebody from this forum can give me some insights about this
dependency, to complete the matplotlib install process.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
Claude