On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Kurt Mueller <kurt.alfred.muel...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Without the resize event it works as expected.
> With the resize event (as you suggested),
> it only adjusts the borders of the four axes to the outside of the figure.
> But between the axes there is no space at all.
>
> Do I miss something?

I think I was saying (I'm not certain, since it's been a while since the
original email) that the function (layout.tight) had to be called again
*after* resizing.

BTW, one of the matplotlib devs (Jae Joon Lee, I believe) completely
rewrote/improved this function and added it to matplotlib as
tight_layout<https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/blob/master/lib/matplotlib/figure.py#L1312>(both
as a pyplot function and a figure method). I'm not sure if the
function is in the current mpl release, but there's a pending release in the
works.

Best,
-Tony