Dear list,

a call to `axes.cla()` automacically generates axes labels +
descriptions. If I then draw something with 3D axes, then I have two
axes in one figure. How can I clear the eaxes without generating 2D
tickz / labels etc?

A simple example for this based on
  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/mplot3d/wire3d_demo.html
is (note the line marked with # <-------):

from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import axes3d
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')

X, Y, Z = axes3d.get_test_data(0.05)
ax.plot_wireframe(X, Y, Z, rstride=10, cstride=10)

plt.ion()
plt.show()

-Holger