Dear Scott & Bryan,

Thanks for the advice!

Neither the dmg nor the supposedly 32bit egg on sourceforge worked for
me, even after I deleted 64bit Python 2.7.2. @Bryan: Thanks for
suggesting MacPorts: I didn't know about that and you are right that
that would have been a good solution.

Here is how I solved it (with serious help from a friend):
The problem seems to be that tcl/tk on MacOSX is 32bit, which is why
there is no 64bit Mac distribution on sourceforge.

I downloaded the source from sourceforge (matplotlib_1.0.1.tar.gz)
then expanded it into a temp directory.

In the root directory,
cp setupext.py.template setup.py
I uncommented line 11
basedir=/usr
and changed it to
basedir=/usr/X11

Then in setupext.py, line 832, I removed
[-2]
(as suggested by old.nabble.com/Can't-install-from-PyPi-td32404788.html)

Then "python setup.py install" (do not use "build").
And that was all done.

Another solution might be to build 64bit Tcl/Tk on MacOSX.
Instructions are here:
http://buffalothedestroyer.blogspot.com/2009/07/installing-64-bit-tcltk-on-mac-os-x.html
http://bugs.python.org/issue6441
but I have not tried this and it seems like this solution needs python
to be rebuilt as well.

Does the installation page needs updating?
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html#building-on-osx

I'm copying this e-mail to the list so it is archived. Gavin.

--
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when
you take into account Hofstadter's Law.