Benjamin Root-2 wrote:

> I think that might have been a little unclear.  You should only need to
> select 'PyQt4' or 'PySide'.  If PyQt4 is selected, then (I think) the v2
> is
> automatically tested for internally.

hmm, please explain where you think it is used internally, as the code seem
to expect that this param can be set when there is no env variable 'QT_API'
set, in backends\qt4_compat.py:

# Available APIs.
QT_API_PYQT = 'PyQt4'       # API is not set here; Python 2.x default is V 1
QT_API_PYQTv2 = 'PyQt4v2'   # forced to Version 2 API
QT_API_PYSIDE = 'PySide'    # only supports Version 2 API

ETS = dict(pyqt=QT_API_PYQTv2, pyside=QT_API_PYSIDE)

# If the ETS QT_API environment variable is set, use it.  Note that
# ETS requires the version 2 of PyQt4, which is not the platform
# default for Python 2.x.

QT_API_ENV = os.environ.get('QT_API')
if QT_API_ENV is not None:
    try:
        QT_API = ETS[QT_API_ENV]
    except KeyError:
        raise RuntimeError(
          'Unrecognized environment variable %r, valid values are: %r or %r'
%
                           (QT_API_ENV, 'pyqt', 'pyside'))
else:
    # No ETS environment, so use rcParams.
    QT_API = rcParams['backend.qt4']

but trying to set it, via code or matplotlibrc results in:
        Unrecognized backend.qt4 string "PyQt4v2": valid strings are
['PySide', 'PyQt4']
  "%s"\n\t%s' % (val, cnt, line, fname, msg))