Yes, setting annotation_clip=False did fix it.  I will try to send a minimal
example.  ATM, my example is not at all minimal, but I suspect that you can
easily reproduce this with any plot where the x axis is set so that the
rightmost point is on the edge of the graph, and annotation is set to right
justified (which should make the annotation visible, within the bounds of the
plot)

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/pyplot_api.html#matplotlib.pyplot.annotate