Thanks JJ.

The problem seems not to be a size issue --  markersize has no effect
when use marker="," (pixel).  I have also tried to turn off aa, and it
doesn't help either.  I also tried different backends.  The PNG output
from Agg and Cairo is slightly different: Agg's point has 4 solid
pixel, while Cairo's has 4 pixel with random shade.

Postscript output has the same problem.  The "pixel" in an EPS file
generated by mpl is significantly bigger than that from another
drawing program I used.

The problem occurs in all my plotting scripts, e.g., this basic one:

[CODE]
import numpy as np

x=np.arange(100)
y=np.random.randn(100)

ioff()
fig=gcf()
fig.clf()

ax=fig.add_axes(0.15,0.1,0.8, 0.85)
ax.plot(x,y,"k,")

ion()
fig.canvas.draw()
[/CODE]

Here is how I identify the problem:
1. use the above script to plot on screen
2. savefig("plot.png")
3. open plot.png in GIMP and check the pixel size.

I also attached the two PNG files generated with Agg and Cairo backends.