I just created a binary installer for python.org's 64-bit Python 2.7
(MacOS X 10.6 and later). I'd like a few folks to test it to make sure
it works for more than just me, before serving it at the usual location.

The temporary link is:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/matplotlib-1.1.0-py2.
7-python.org-macosx10.6.dmg>

Thanks to Ned Deily for providing the fix. It turned out to be a known
bug in XCode 3.2.6 -- an incorrect symlink -- as described here
(including the fix):
<https://discussions.apple.com/message/13314424?messageID=13314424>
once I fixed that the normal matplotlib build worked perfectly
after editing setupext.py to set:
   'darwin': ['/usr/local', '/usr/', '/usr/X11'],

I recommend that as the default value in future releases of matplotlib
because:
- It works if using python.org python or Apple's Python
- If one is using macports or other such package managers then
matplotlib is probably already available -- folks are less likely to
build from source.

-- Russell