On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Bruce Ford <br...@clearscienceinc.com>wrote:

> I have a application that plots figures on demand.  I'm running into an
> issue when plotting more than one parameter on a figure.  Each parameter is
> run through libraries that I've written that make decisions and eventually
> plots the figure.  However, for some figures (when two parameters are
> plotted), the colorbar plots atop the main figure (see the attached).
>
> I think the reason is that each time through the libraries, a separate
> basemap is created (although with the same values) but for the first
> parameter, a colorbar is plotted and for the second, there will never be a
> colorbar.  So the final figure plots the colorbar on top.
>
> is there a way to test the gca() to see if a basemap has been created, or
> to detect whether the gcs() has a colorbar and leave the map/figure alone.
>  (I'm not exactly sure if it's the re-creation of the basemap or the fact
> that the second parameter will not contain a colorbar that is the issue.)
>
> Anyone crossed this bridge?
>
> Bruce

What is creating a colorbar?  My usual coding style is such that any
functions I make to do complicated plots do not do any more than is
necessary.  All axis limits, title setting and colorbar making are left for
the caller of the plotting function.

>From your description, it is hard to tell if the bug is in your code,
basemap, or some other third-party library.  Could you please clarify?

Cheers!
Ben Root

P.S. - Furthermore, I *really* like using the axes_grid1 toolkit because I
can specify if I want space pre-allocated for colorbars.  This way, when I
create my colorbar, I can pass the pre-allocated axes object that was made
just for the colorbar.