I created an issue here:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/707

On 02/18/2012 11:00 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

On Saturday, February 18, 2012, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

    Saurav Pathak :
    > I am trying to generate key press events in matplotlib (imshow)
    embedded
    > in pyqt4, but I am getting nowhere.
    Yes, another victim...

    My small animation test program

    http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~karczma/TEACH/Test/isingVZ.py
    <http://users.info.unicaen.fr/%7Ekarczma/TEACH/Test/isingVZ.py>

    run under Windows XP / Python 2.7, shows the following

    1. For WX and GTK the timing doesn't work properly.
    2. For QT4 key event processing doesn't work

    Only Ye Olde Tkinter backend seems to behave decently.
    Well, the animation in matplotlib - as I have already mentioned some
    week ago - is really imperfect, and should be re-analysed (in
    particular
    not giving to the user the access to the event loop is a severe
    handycap). Now I see that events in general need to be looked into in
    details. I feel sorry that I have no time to dig more thoroughly.
    (Of course, I may be doing some rubbish..., then mes plus plates
    excuses).

    Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Please file bug reports on these issues, as they are critical.

Ben Root